Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Arrrrggggghhhhh - Dang it! I didn't want it saved -there-!

That's really annoying.

A followup to this post.

My client is in transition from Tableau 7 to Tableau 8, so I make it a practice when I open a workbook with Tv8 and get this message:
,
to immediately save it with "Tv8" appended to its name, e.g.
– "Very Important Analyses.twb"
becomes
– "Very Important Analyses Tv8.twb".

Tableau mucks things up.

I just opened a Tv7 workbook and saved it with the "Tv8" convention via "File | Save As...", almost as a reflex.
Guess where it was saved.
Give up?
I can't afford to.
Tableau saved it somewhere, but not in the folder from whence it was opened. I just looked, and it's not there.

I have to clean up the mess.

I need to:

  • Recognize that the Tv8 version isn't where it should be – and in heat of analysis this might not surface soon or obviously.
  • Save the Tv8 version to the correct location, which involves:
    • Locating the correct folder.
    • Remembering or copying the folder's fully qualified name.
    • Using "File | Save As..." to save the Tv8 version into its proper home.
  • Deleting the erroneously-saved Tv8 copy from the directory it was saved into, itself a multi-step process.
    (I'll spare you, dear reader, the elaboration).

This is bad.

This is an example of where Tableau, in its flawed implementation, makes life much more difficult than it should be. Tracking files' home locations and using that as the default is such a simple thing, but its absence can be such a big bother and an interruption of the analytical flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment